NAMI NH currently has a two live online Support Groups.
The Parent group is intended for parents/primary caregivers of children, adolescents and young adults and held on the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of each month from 8:00-9:00pm.
The Family group is intended for anyone who has a loved one that is an adult and has a mental illness, it can be a parent, child, sibling, spouse or just someone significant in your life. The Family group is held on the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month from 8:00-9:00pm.
Please read the following and then click the link at the bottom of the page to join the group of your choice during the specified time. Both groups are held at the same “location”. NAMI SUPPORT GROUP PRINCIPLES AND GUIDELINES PRINCIPLES OF SUPPORT represent what we are striving for, our touchstones and aspirations as we struggle to come to terms with serious mental illness. This is our belief system regarding universal, necessary truths which guide and strengthen us when life deals us this particular challenge.
- We will see the individual first, not the illness.
- We recognize mental illnesses are brain disorders.
- We aim for better coping skills.
- We find strength in sharing experiences.
- We reject stigma in ourselves and others.
- We won't judge anyone's pain as less than our own.
- We forgive ourselves and reject guilt.
- We embrace humor as healthy.
- We accept we cannot resolve all problems.
- We expect a better future in a realistic way.
- We will never give up hope!
The GROUP GUIDELINES tell us how we are going to care for each other in the group. These "rules of association" provide the mutual consideration, forbearance and protection that are often hard to find in the real world. We will follow these guidelines at each meeting to create the sanctuary and safety we need.
- Start and stop on time.
- Time limit for opening stories. (If each of us told our entire story at every meeting, nothing would ever get done.)
- Absolute confidentiality. (A pledge: what we say here, stays here.)
- Be respectful. (Give me grace and space to get through this trouble.)
- Let's keep it in the 'here and now'. (We're more effective when we focus on what's happening right now.)
- Emphathize with each other's situation. (Even if you don't understand, know that I am doing my very best.)
In order to join the online support group, you will need to create a user name - use your name (john, sue, sally) or just create one (flipper, mom1, need4u). This is simply the name you will use to address each other in the group. Okay, got your user name? Then... Click Here, enter your user name and welcome to the online group!
Note: In order to access this online support group you will need to have Java installed on your system. If you do not already have it installed you can download it for free from http://www.java.com