The online support groups have been suspended while we develop a new format to deliver online parent and family support. Stayed tuned for details as we move forward. Our guidelines and principles below will still apply!
NAMI SUPPORT GROUP PRINCIPLES AND GUIDELINES PRINCIPLES OF SUPPORT represent what we are striving for, our touchstones and aspirations as we struggle to come to terms with serious mental illness. This is our belief system regarding universal, necessary truths which guide and strengthen us when life deals us this particular challenge.
- We will see the individual first, not the illness.
- We recognize mental illnesses are brain disorders.
- We aim for better coping skills.
- We find strength in sharing experiences.
- We reject stigma in ourselves and others.
- We won't judge anyone's pain as less than our own.
- We forgive ourselves and reject guilt.
- We embrace humor as healthy.
- We accept we cannot resolve all problems.
- We expect a better future in a realistic way.
- We will never give up hope!
The GROUP GUIDELINES tell us how we are going to care for each other in the group. These "rules of association" provide the mutual consideration, forbearance and protection that are often hard to find in the real world. We will follow these guidelines at each meeting to create the sanctuary and safety we need.
- Start and stop on time.
- Time limit for opening stories. (If each of us told our entire story at every meeting, nothing would ever get done.)
- Absolute confidentiality. (A pledge: what we say here, stays here.)
- Be respectful. (Give me grace and space to get through this trouble.)
- Let's keep it in the 'here and now'. (We're more effective when we focus on what's happening right now.)
- Emphathize with each other's situation. (Even if you don't understand, know that I am doing my very best.)