MIAW: Make It About Words!!
PLEDGE AROUND SENSITIVE AND RESPECTFUL LANGUAGE
I pledge that as part of Stigma Free in the 603, I will use and role model sensitive and respectful language to help to reduce stigma and increase awareness about mental illness, substance misuse, trauma and suicide. Being mindful of the words we use can promote hope as well as dignity and respect and can encourage people affected by these conditions to seek help and feel supported in their recovery process.
The following are examples of the kinds of language I will use, and the language I will avoid:
Statements and Terms to Avoid:
- What’s wrong with you?
- Addict, junkie
- Person is schizophrenic/bipolar; crazy
- The mentally Ill
- Failed suicide attempt
- Successful, committed, completed suicide
Statements and Terms to Promote:
- What happened to you?
- Person with a substance use disorder
- Person has a (any) mental health condition
- Persons with mental health conditions
- Survived a suicide attempt
- Died by suicide, took one’s own life
I acknowledge that, by submitting my name on this pledge, I give permission to NAMI NH to post my first name and town to the NAMI NH website listing everyone who has joined the pledge.