The most effective way to educate legislators is through their own local constituents. The NAMI NH Public Policy Advocacy training, “It’s Your Move,” provides participants with the skills and confidence to engage their local representatives one-on-one or within a group such as a legislative forum in their community. Participants learn about the New Hampshire political structure, the most effective methods of communication and messaging and how to counter negative thinking on the part of decision makers.
The next It’s Your Move training will be held in early 2021. This free 4 hour training is open to anyone who wishes to become a public policy advocate. Through lecture, role playing and group discussion, participants are able to gain confidence in their abilities to articulate the issues to their legislative representatives. A training outline and supporting materials are provided.
Participants will learn:
- How you can become an effective advocate
- All you need to know about the NH legislative process
- How to use your personal experiences as a foundation for needed change
- What, when and how to share your message so it gets heard
- Changes in health care delivery – what you need to know
- How one person can make a difference to teach people affected by mental illness