NAMI NH offers a educational presentations for businesses, organizations and community members on mental illness. Learn more about our available speaker programs below.
NAMI In Our Own Voice presentations change attitudes, assumptions and ideas about people with mental health conditions. These free, 40 – 60minute presentations provide a personal perspective of mental health conditions, as leaders with lived experience talk openly about what it’s like to have a mental health condition.
This presentation provides:
- An opportunity to hear open and honest perspectives on a highly misunderstood topic
- A chance to ask leaders questions, allowing for a deeper understanding of mental health conditions and dispelling of stereotypes and misconceptions
- The understanding that people with mental health conditions have lives enriched by hopes, dreams, and goals
- Information on how to learn more about mental health and get involved with the mental health community
Life Interrupted is a recovery education presentation given by trained presenters who have had their own life interrupted due to the mental illness of a family member. By speaking about their own experiences, the presenters are able to address mental illness stigma and educate communities about mental illness recovery, how mental illness impacts family members, and the resources that are available to support their loved ones.
The Goals of the Family Perspective Presentation
- To help audiences understand the family perspective on mental illness.
- To reduce the stigma associated with mental illness and to demonstrate that family recovery is possible.
- To encourage hope for families that are affected by mental illness.
- To educate communities about NAMI NH, its philosophy, services and the benefits it provides to families.
- To promote resiliency and recovery.
Life Interrupted presentations are free and available to any group or organization in NH that is interested in learning more about mental illness and the support and education that NAMI NH provides. Hospitals and health care centers have found this a valuable learning experience for their staff. Contact Heidi Cantin for more information or request a presentation.
SurvivorVoices – sharing the story of suicide loss is a presentation provided by a member of the NH Survivors of Suicide Loss Speaker’s Bureau. Through the sharing of their personal stories of losing a loved one to suicide, speakers promote healing and understanding, which in turn supports and encourages suicide prevention efforts. The speakers talk about the life and the death of their loved one, how they coped and continue to cope with the loss, and what has helped or not helped. The goals of this program are to raise awareness of the risk factors and warning signs for suicide; increase help-seeking behavior; reduce the stigma, shame, and isolation that loss survivors feel; and teach individuals and communities how to better help loss survivors and how best to respond to suicide death in a sensitive and informed manner.